Sunday 31 January 2010

Over and Over


Last night was great, had a good laugh and got very drunk. I don't know how i got up for work today but i have to go out again in an hour for a wedding.

One thing a lot of (straight) people don't understand about gays is coming out. Yeah, they understand that you come out to your family and friends etc. but they don't get that it continues through the rest of your life. I thought about this last night.
After we left the club we were walking to a friends house for an after party. I was chatting to a guy my friend knows who i'd not met before, but i'd been around him all night. I can't remember what we were talking about but i remember saying 'oh, no, i'm gay'. He was actually surprised, i'd say i'm possibly 1 or 2 out of 10 on the campness scale, so noone ever really knows i'm gay unless they've been told.
Anyway, what i'm getting to is that 'coming out' is a continuous thing. You don't just do it once and it's over with. I'm constantly coming out, to new friends, people i meet, people i work with, people at university. I think it's the way you present it which governs how people act. I usually don't make any fuss over it, most of the time it's just a side comment or it's implied by talking about hot guys, going on a date with a guy, whatever.

For some people, the first time coming out was hard enough, and many find it hard to have to constantly define their sexuality. Personally, it's not a big deal to me. If you don't like the way i am, i have plenty of people who do. So fuck you. haha

Ok, i really should finish getting ready, i'm looking forward to tonight.

No comments: